Sunday 11 May 2014

Fostering A Baby Elephant on Mother's Day!

Today on Mother's Day, I'm a very happy foster mom of a cute baby elephant orphan named Kamok!! I got the certificate by email. You can see my certificate here.

I've been watching videos of elephants rescue by THE DAVID SHELDRICK WILDLIFE TRUST recently. And I was thinking to foster one of those baby orphan elephants. I checked the list over and over again and watched the videos on youtube over and over. And finally I made up my mind to foster Kamok. A baby elephant orphan who was (probably) left by her herd because she had weak joints so she couldn't catch up with her herd. Poor thing...

I've always had a soft spot for animals especially elephants and cats. And I'm concerned about the issues regarding the declining number of the endangered species and extinction, and the well-being of animals. I've learned that the number of elephants is declining for the past recent years due to the poaching for their ivory or human-wildlife conflicts. It makes me really sad whenever I hear some news about dead elephants in Africa, Asia including my home country, Indonesia.. I don't understand how they could bare to kill such majestic and awesome animals.. 

Some of the videos on elephant orphan rescue bring tears to my eyes. I feel sad when a baby elephant orphan died despite DSWT's best efforts to save him or her.. For example this baby Empaash. What a lovely baby elephant, but Empaash seemed to have lost the will to live, having lost his/her mother...




But there are also heart-warming, happy end stories where the baby struggles to survive, like Kamok, the baby elephant I've just fostered at The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. Watch her rescue here.



Isn't she lovely? What a precious baby elephant!! 

Another happy-ending rescue is the rescue of Quanza. Her mother and two sisters were killed by poachers (aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhh.. I feel like killing those poachers when I see the video of her rescue). I couldn't help crying as I'm watching it.... 


How terrible are the human beings who insist on buying ivory and have caused the killings of thousands of elephants...

I hope Kamok grows stronger and healthier by day and has a long happy life. And may she have lots of baby elephants so that the number of elephants increases..

No comments:

Post a Comment